Perfect your Cocktail Muddling Technique
17. 2. 2023
Muddling: Noun - the action or process of bringing something into a disordered or confusing state.
Muddling is like giving your cocktail a little massage! It is the process of crushing and mixing ingredients in the bottom of a glass or shaker to release their natural flavours and oils. It is like unlocking the secret treasure trove of flavour hidden inside those fruits, herbs, and spices. And let's be real, who doesn't love a little bit of crushing and smashing every now and then? It is a cathartic release, and the end result is a cocktail that is bursting with flavour.
How to become a world-class muddler:
- The main objective here is not to mash the ingredients to pulp, but instead work the natural essence out of the ingredients gently, i.e juice from fruit
- Place your ingredients in the bottom of either a shaker, serving glass or mixing glass
- Gently press down the muddler on your ingredients while turning it halfway round the glass
- Continue this motion until ingredients are muddled (usually 4-6 turns)
- Add the other ingredients as per your cocktail recipe including ice and finish shaking/stirring your drink
Muddling is the perfect technique is you are using ingredients like fresh herbs, berries or spices.
14. 12. 2021
17. 2. 2023